Many diabetics carry a wrong notion that fruits can cause a spike in the blood sugar levels. On the contrary, fruits are stuffed with essential vitamins, natural fiber, minerals and anti-oxidants that are very essential for the body. Total avoidance of fruits may invite some other undesirable health complications.
Fruits contain sugars like sucrose, fructose and other forms of carbohydrates. Fruits are equally important for diabetes patients, but they should be cautious in selecting the right kind of fruits and the right proportion. Fruits with high sucrose and fructose content demand more insulin production from the body for the metabolism. Insulin production is impaired in case of the diabetics, so they must avoid such type of fruits or take in small amounts.
Fruits beneficial for Diabetics
Fruits rich in fiber and with low glycemic index (GI) are ideal for the Diabetics. The amount of fibers present in these fruits results in slowing down of the metabolic processes, and therefore prevents the shooting up of blood sugar levels.
1. The fruit Avocado is not only rich in fiber, but it also contains high level of mono saturated fats, which is essential for the healthy cardio-vascular system. Diabetics tend to develop cardio- vascular diseases. Including avocado in the diet reduces the risk of heart ailments and also improves the glycemic index.
2. Fruits rich in fructose do not require insulin for metabolism, and so the diabetes patients can enjoy such fruits like guavas, pears, mangoes and apples, which have a fructose to glucose ratios more than 2.
3. Citrus fruits are beneficial for diabetics as they boost the immunity system, and also help in proper functioning of the pancreas. Guava, Indian gooseberry, grapes etc. are some fruits recommended for the diabetics.
4. Nuts are rich in fiber, with low glycemic index and are beneficial for the diabetics. Peanuts, walnuts and almonds if taken in restricted amounts are beneficial for the diabetes patients.
5. Besides high fiber and high fructose levels, raw apples are rich in pectin that reduces the insulin requirement to about 50%.
6. Grape fruit is another fruit useful for the diabetics, which helps in reducing insulin resistance and promotes weight loss. This fruit also helps in controlling insulin levels, when taken along with meals.
7. Fruits rich in water content but low in sugar content like water melon, cucumber are recommended for the diabetics.
Fruits are not harmful for diabetics, but fruit juices, processed and canned fruits may pose serious health problems. Fruit juices and canned fruits contain considerable amounts of added sugar and are devoid of fiber, which results in abnormally high blood sugar conditions.